Little Rock Marathon 2009

The Little Rock Marathon was today and it was GREAT!  Tammy completed her first marathon in around 5:13, which I thought was just great for her first marathon.  I jumped in at mile 13 and ran with her and Kim until right where she turned off for the finish line.

We started out extra early this morning, leaving my house at 6:30am so we could get parking in Downtown, we ended up sitting in my vehicle until 7:30 at the President Clinton Library, because parking was perfect.  The temperature outside was hovering around 48 – 49 degrees, but with a lot of humidity, clouds, really perfect running weather.

We headed down to the River Market to find the corrals at 7:30, Josh and I took pictures while Tammy and Kim got in place for the race start.  Once the race started Josh and I headed to North Little Rock for the first meet spot at around mile 4.5, well, that didn’t work out so we ended up at around mile 3, Kim and Tammy saw us before we saw them.  Here is a pic of Tammy and Kim from behind because Josh and I were busy looking at the map when they came up.  Kim in the skirt and Tammy in the light blue vest.


After this stop Josh and I headed to LR and ended up at about mile 6, not our plan, but it worked, we were able to sit in the car until right before they came up and this time I got a better picture.

Tammy and Kim - LR Marathon

Tammy and Kim - LR Marathon

The girls were doing great, no complaints, and very upbeat!  Josh and I headed to the next stop around mile 9.  Once again our plan not really where we wanted to be, but it worked out.

Tammy and Kim

Tammy and Kim

The next stop was the one where I had planned to jump in and start running with the girls, I had been looking forward to it, but now I was getting nervous, I had been riding around in a car enjoying watching, instead of running!  I also was sort of not “legal”, I wasn’t really running the half or the full, but it all worked out.

Josh and I headed over to around mile 13, I knew there was a relay station there and we could not get close, all the roads were closed so we had to drive on the backside of the State Capitol and park, kind of desolate really.  I also needed to use the bathroom before I started running, I certainly didn’t want to start running and then “uh, girls, need to make a potty stop”.  There was port-a-potties up at the relay stop and the girls were about 10 minutes away, I went to the bathroom and then waited for the girls, I was getting antsy just standing on the side of the road, I’m sure I looked a little crazy, a runner just standing there,not running,  oh well.

When the girls turned the corner I was relieved, Kim got some stuff from Josh and we headed up the big Kavanaugh Hill, it was great to be running with the girls, they both seemed to be doing well.  The hill was near as bad as I remembered it being during the training runs or in last year’s Marathon.  A smattering here and there of crowd support, waving at people, it was fun!

Here is a picture of the three of us on top of the “Hill”

Me, Tammy and Kim

Me, Tammy and Kim

Before we got to the top of the hill Tammy called her sister and she came down to meet us, that was neat too, I know Tammy was excited to see her.  I had a call from Annette, she wanted to know where we were, she and a couple of gals were planning on back tracking (they had run the 1/2) and meeting us on the course once we got closer to the finish, she did that last year for me and it made a huge difference for me.

We were on our way downhill to Murray Park, the dreaded 5 mile out and back, this part I hate, it’s so long and boring, thank goodness I had Tammy and Kim with me this time, it made it much easier.  Around mile 21 Tammy started hurting some, we had to push her a little and she finally just pushed the pain aside and went on, I didn’t know what to tell her, pain is relative, I have it on almost every run and when I don’t I think WOW this is great, why can’t it be like this all the time, but I know I’m beating my legs and feet against the pavement, there is going to be some pain.

Once we got to around mile 23 I had to pee again, so I ran into the port a potty and told the girls to go on I would catch up, this was my second stop, the first time was at mile 18, too much water I guess.  It was tough making up the distance, but in both instances I did, it helped that I hadn’t run the WHOLE marathon.

Josh had text’d Kim that they were over by Cajun’s and I had called Annette when we got to mile 22, we were getting close to the end, Kim was not feeling well around mile 23/24 her IT band started acting up, Tammy was staying pretty steady.  I was feeling great, I had only been running for 10 miles!

We got to Cajun’s which is about mile 24 1/4 and there was Kim’s gang, they took some photos and she dropped her fuel belt, Tammy and I got a little ahead of her and that’s when we lost her, I kept looking back and I could see her, but I thought she would catch up, but she didn’t.  I knew she was having some problems and hoped she would be okay and she was, but still, I worried.

Tammy and I passed the 25 mile mark, I was so excited for her, we were in the home stretch!  There was Tom! our Coach for the entire Little Rock Marathon training, he was walking toward us on the other side of the street, we waved and here he came and started telling Tammy “I knew you could do it, I KNEW IT, you are doing GREAT and the finish is right there!”  I welled up and so did Tammy, it was very emotional for both of us.  He’s been a great leader and supporter for every Saturday run, I can’t begin to tell you how much they do for the runners in Central Arkansas, him and Hobbit both, we love them.

Once we got over the hill we saw Annette and Michele, they were screaming and hollering and started running with us, Annette has a great picture on her Facebook page of Tammy at the 26 mile marker.  Michele was running beside me and Annette was running with Tammy.  Tammy had the biggest smile on her face, she looked like she had just conquered the world!  Arland was there too, but we only saw him for a second or two.

When we got to the concrete barriers I patted her on the back and said “you did it!! There’s the finish”  I had to sprint and unfortunately I didn’t get to see her cross the finish line, it was too far around a bunch of fences, I heard them call her name, but I didn’t get to see her actually cross the finish line.  It was all worth it though, and then in just a couple of minutes her came Kim, she looked great too, smiling when I saw her.

Here is a picture after they got their HUGE medals, everyone was all smiles.

The End - Kim, Me and Tammy

The End - Kim, Me and Tammy

It was a great day, fun meeting them early in the race and fun jumping in at mile 13 too, I think I made the right decision not running the entire Marathon, getting on an airplane early this morning, UGH.

Thanks to all the people that came out yesterday and who had great races, I didn’t get to see or talk to everyone, but I heard about a lot of good races yesterday!


3 Responses

  1. Look at you guys!! congrats!

  2. Wow. Those are huge medals! Congrats to you all.

  3. Hope to get my blog up this weekend….wrote some stuff down so I wouldn’t forget. Don’t forget to send me the rest of those pics! Looking forward to running Saturday, I’m already getting antsy…early, huh? I’ll take it easy….hope my blisters will let me!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: