Little Rock Marathon Part 2

After mile 10 I was ready to ditch the 1/2 Marathoners, they were starting to brag, only 3 miles to go, only 2 miles to go, you get the picture… I expected the crowd to thin out a lot more than it did.  I think we were in with the majority of the runners, the average person finished in 4:48.

I took my first “pee” stop at the 2nd relay station, about mile 13.  Good for me, no stomach problems and we were off again, on to the dreaded HILL, up Markham in front of the Deaf School and up Markham.  We did great!  We were in the midst of some “talkers” again and had to get away, it was a pace group and one of the girls was just full of herself.  I was still feeling pretty good, foot was bothering me a little, legs feeling a little fatigued, but not bad.  I knew Tammy would be up on top of the hill around mile 15.5 and we had that to  look forward to.  There were lots of people out cheering the runners on, the nice weather sure helped!  There was lots of dogs and it was fun to watch them.  We keep seeing this huge blond Labradoodle looking dog, I bet we saw him 6-8 times along the course.

We finally made it to the top of the damned hill, we did take one quick walk break somewhere up that monster, but we couldn’t let that pace group catch us with the “talker”.  There was Tammy, mile 15.5, plus the lady from the 1/2 Marathon the day before, she was right where she said she would be with Animal Crackers, we didn’t care they were all in a bowl where everyone had been touching them, yum.

Quick Hi and Bye and headed down the hill, we knew Josh and Uncle Bill were somewhere at the bottom of the hill so another bright spot on the route.  The run down the hill was nice, time to catch our breath and enjoy the scenery.  We also grabbed some pretzels (out of a communal bowl) that were super yummy too!  They also had life savers (individually wrapped), really nice, just ordinary people, not volunteers.  We ran into Jackie Clinton on the hill, she was running 4 minutes walking 1 minute, and I think she finished before we did.  Hmmmm.

We were down on Cantrell around mile 17ish when we saw Josh, refill of fuel belt, couple of pictures and up and over the bridge to the dreaded Murray Park out and back, Yuck.

This is where I started feeling bad, like I had to pee, but I didn’t, it was weird.  The more I ran the worse it felt, not sure what was going on, my insides were on fire!  We came up to a set of port-a-potties and I thought I would be able to use it, but I couldn’t, nothing but a burning sensation, this is miserable!!  And we were doing so well!  It hurt so bad I forgot about the pain in my knees, feet and legs, I just kept moving forward, we had to take several walk breaks, damn it.

We finally got to the turn around, I think it’s about mile 20 and I really had no idea how I would make it to the finish line.  I felt so bad for Kim, she was having a great run, I told her to go on, but she wouldn’t leave me there, she should have!!  I stopped at another port-a-potty, still couldn’t go, I was feeling nauseated too, so I wasn’t sure what might happen in there, but nothing, but fire in my you know what!!!

We ran into Arland at a point I wasn’t feeling horrible, we talked for a bit and it wasn’t long and BAM I felt horrible again, what the hell is going on?  I had no idea, I couldn’t eat, drink, nothing.  Kim said we would walk the last 3 miles if we had to.  We didn’t, but it was close.

We finally got off that stupid Murray Park portion, THANK GOD!!  We were heading to our last meet up with Josh at Cajun’s, Kim and I wanted to drop our fuel belts.  Here’s a couple of pictures, Kim looks all happy, I can barely walk, this is about mile 24.5

Me trying to finish

Kim happy as can be!

We were now on Cantrell and headed for the finish, that last 1.5 miles felt like 10.  There are at least 3 really good hills before you get to the Finish Line, lots of people were walking, we tried to run or I should say I tried to run and did some.  We got to the last mile and there was this DJ dude playing Jungle Boogie and that really lifted our spirits, we used to hear and dance to it in Jazzercise and it brought back lots of good memories.  It put a pep in our step.  Not long after that we saw Tom, our dedicated running Coach every Saturday morning, that was very cool!  Then there was the Lipstick Stop were we picked out a nice tube of free Loreal lipstick to take home.  Right after that we saw Hobbit in her Marathon get up, she was a sight!  Tom and Hobbit both do so much for the running community, I don’t know how they do it, but we appreciate all they do.

Finish Line, I see the Finish Line, there was this girl in front of us and we didn’t want her to be in our pictures and we were going to let her go ahead, but we ended up sprinting past her to the finish chute.

We heard “CHERYL” “KIM” and there was this huge group of Cabot runners up in the bleachers, and then I saw my Mother and Aunt Maratha right at the fence.  Arms in the air, we were done!!!  Huge hugs for my Running Partner Kim, I couldn’t have done it without her!  Where’s the medal, where’s the medal???  We hobbled over to the medals, got our chips off, grabbed our bag of food, quick snapshot and then our SECOND Medal for completing both the half and full back to back, super nice medals and finisher shirt.  Another snapshot and off to find our friends and family

There was Josh, Tammy, Uncle Bill and Lanita, Aunt Martha, my Mother, my sister Vanessa, my friend Sheryl and probably someone I’m forgetting.

It was really so nice having everyone at the finish, it makes it all worthwhile, even though I was still dying on the inside!  Lots of pictures and small talk and I was dying of thirst and hunger, but no food and only chocolate milk.  We decided to head to the Flying Fish while Kim and Josh headed out.  Sheryl had to head home too.  We had a great lunch, bunch of fried stuff, which I never eat, and an ice cold Coke Zero, that was the best part!

It’s over, about 40 miles for the weekend.  Monday I was a little sore, but not near as sore as I expected.  My burning is gone, don’t know what it was.  Ran last night with Kim 3.65 miles, we will do it again tomorrow since it rained this morning.

It was great to see people that you never get to see and to see all those people run 26.2 miles, it’s tough mentally and tough on your body for sure.  We finished in 5:09:xx, not our best, but not our worst either.

kim, me and tammy


2 Responses

  1. Did you ever figure out your stomach problems? WTG on a great marathon….

  2. I’ve had so many stomach problems at races … I totally relate. Well done on a great weekend of running.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: