Time flies and running is tough

It seems like just yesterday I was struggling to run 3 miles, Saturday I was struggling to run 10 and actually didn’t, I only could muster 8.5, it was so humid and I couldn’t breathe. 

Let’s start with the week in review, it started out hot and ending hot, not complaining because I hate winter so much, but the mornings have been a little muggy to say the least, humidity has been around 90% or higher every day.  Kim and I have been balls of sweat by the time we finish, lots of stinky, wet clothes, but we are still managing to keep a good pace until this weekend.

We did see the fox once more during the week, he scared the crap out of us once more on one of our morning runs, we just steer clear and try not to look at him. 

Baby S news, poor thing, Stephanie called me on Wednesday morning and said they were at Children’s Hospital, WHAT!!, scared the crap out of me to say the least.  Apparently the baby had a horrible bout with diarrhea starting Tuesday afternoon and they went to the ER on Tuesday night when she was vomiting too.  They weren’t sure what was causing her distress so they did all sorts of test, including 3 attempts at a spinal, lots of cultures, finger pricks, and an iv in her tiny little hand. 

I made my way to the hospital where Stephanie and the baby were in some sort of nurses area, no rooms available, very cramped, but nurses right there with 4 beds, almost like a ward, but tiny.  No room for visitors for sure.  Tiny little 2 week old Baby S was sleeping, IV going to replace her fluids.  She did wake up an hour or so after I got there, Stephanie fed her and I burped her and held her, so tiny and sweet.  Poor sick little baby. 

Around 11:00am my Mother was on her way and since everything was quiet I headed to work.  I got a call around 1:00pm that they were going home, it was Rotavirus.  It can cause severe diarrhea and vomiting, the worse of which is the dehydration to tiny babies, usually strikes older babies though.  Probably some contact with some kids that were over on the weekend, ugh.  Anyway, she is doing much, much better.

Ahh, the run this weekend, Saturday started off good, Sheryl came and ran with us for 3 miles, we saw Tammy, but she didn’t run with us.  Not sure if I had a little heat exhaustion or just tired, but just felt drained, legs were heavy, waves of nausea, just didn’t think I could make the 10 miles so we turned off and headed back to the River Market.

We had a nice little shopping extravaganza at the Farmer’s Market, lots of fresh blackberries, peaches, blueberries, yum.  Then we settled down at a picnic table with some iced mochas or something iced, we weren’t really sure, but it was delish and cold.

Sunday, I was worried that the same thing would happen as Saturday.  We had decided to do the same River Market 10 mile route.  Kim and I met at 6am, it was 77 degrees with 91% humidity, ugh.  I told her I was going to take it easy, no speed demons. 

First stop was around 2.5 miles, Valero, coldest gas station ever, oh what a relief!  Off again, still feeling okay, second stop Doubletree hotel, probably around mile 5.5, nice cold hotel.  Next stop around mile 7, Holiday Inn where we asked for a cup of ice water, but this nice young Asian man gave us both styrofoam cups with lots of ice/water and straws, we looked like crazy runners I’m sure, carrying stryofoam cups, but we didn’t care, it go our body temperatures in check and really made a huge difference.

Around mile 9 I couldn’t catch my breath, we stopped at Capitol and Broadway, my heart rate would not go below 130, Kim’s of course was down to 88, go figure, once again, she’s a machine :).  I was looking uphill and dreading it, wondering why I couldn’t get my breathing or heart rate under control, hmmm, hot, humid, old, oh that’s probably it.  Bu, you would think by now I would be better at this, not so much.

It wasn’t getting any better so we took off for our last mile, it was tough, still carrying our styrofoam cups which we had poured our own water/G2/ctyomax into so it would be nice and cold, I don’t think we would have made the 10 miles without the ice water, it was definitely a good move!

Once we finally arrive back at the start we stretched, wiped off the sweat and grabbed an ice cole Diet Mt. Dew.  I tried to call Stephanie so we could go see the baby, but no answer.  We decided to go up to Starbucks and grab some caffeine while waiting on Stephanie to call us back. 

We drank our cold frappucinos outside and read part of the paper with a couple of gals and a huge dog, along with some smokers on the other end of the porch, ugh.  Still no call.  We headed to Walgreens to kill some more time, nothing much there either, when we leaving I tried to call Stephanie, yippee we got her and she said come on over!  Baby time!

It didn’t take us long to get over there, we washed our hands and it was Baby Time!!  Lots of holding, feeding, burping, cooing, we just had a blast.  Took some pictures, of course and had a nice visit.  I had taken over some baby pictures of Stephanie when she was newborn, the baby favors Stephanie much more than Aaron. :).

I was so happy the baby is feeling better, when we left she was all tuckered out.  After I dropped Kim off it was home to catch up on a few things around the house.


2 Responses

  1. I’m happy to hear the baby is doing better. What a scare.

    The humidity in Ark is the worst! I don’t know how you run in it. I give you a big high five! You’re my hero.

  2. girl, i’m feelin your pain about running in this stupid heat. arkansas summers SUCK for running!!!
    keep up the good work!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: